ISO 20000 takes a holistic approach to IT service management and defines a set of processes necessary to provide effective service. These range from core processes related to the processes of configuration management and change management associated with managing incidents and problems. The\is Certification adopts a process approach for establishing, implementing, operating, monitoring, reviewing, maintaining and improving IT system management services for an organization.
ISO 20000 Certification specifically describes the requirements for IT Service Management (ITSM). It provides a framework for benchmarking service delivery processes based on Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) best practices, including: service-level management, capacity management, continuity and availability, information security, budgeting and accounting, and service reporting and audit release , relationship management, and resolution processes. Implementing ISO 20000 reduces operational risk ensures that contractual requirements are met, confirms the quality of service, and increases the ability of an organization to deliver the best value for money services and solutions.
ISO 20000 positions change and configuration management as “control processes” and places them in the center. These two processes ensure the control of the service and infrastructure components and the availability of exact information for the configuration. For both relationship processes “business relationship management” and “supplier management” it is necessary to establish and maintain the relationships between service provider, customer and supplier. In business relationship management, the service provider has to improve the customer’s business processes. In supplier management, the external suppliers are controlled to ensure smooth delivery of the contracted services.
Following critical factors needed to be considered during the implementation of the project:
- A clear commitment from top management regarding the significance of the project
- Planning towards a realistic timeframe
- Careful selection of parties responsible for project and process
- Daily workload of the responsible staff should be appropriately reduced
- Early integration of the certification organization
- Appropriate documentation
- Availability of effective tools at the right time (according to process specification)
- Continuous process improvement is driven by the responsible employees even after the project end
- External monitoring is useful, but a transfer of knowledge must take place
- External consultants are qualified as certified ITIL service managers and ISO 20000 consultants
- External consultants have practical experiences in ISO 20000 projects.
Effectiveness of achieving ISO 20000 Certification
- Improved Quality of Service reliable business support
- More targeted IT Service Continuity procedures and more confident in their ability to follow them when needed
- clearer picture of the current IT capabilities
- Better information on current services
- Greater flexibility for the business through a better understanding of IT support
- Improved customer satisfaction as service providers know and deliver what is expected of them
- Improved cycle time for changes and a greater chance of success
- System led benefits , e.g. improving the safety , accuracy, speed , availability of the required level of service
- Operating costs will decrease as less effort is wasted providing customers products or services they do not want
- Profit margins will improve as more repetitive is recovered.